MASS READING - Thursday 6 April 2017



Thursday of the 5th week of Lent - Proper Readings
 (see also Lazarus)

Liturgical Colour: Violet.


Readings at Mass

________

Entrance Antiphon
Heb 9: 15

Christ is mediator of a New Covenant,
so that by means of his death, those who are called
may receive the promise of an eternal inheritance.


________

Collect

Be near, O Lord, to those who plead before you,
and look kindly on those who place their hope in your mercy,
that, cleansed from the stain of their sins,
they may persevere in holy living
and be made full heirs of your promise.
Through our Lord Jesus Christ, your Son,
who lives and reigns with you in the unity of the Holy Spirit,
one God, for ever and ever.


________

First reading
Genesis 17:3-9

Abram bowed to the ground and God said this to him, ‘Here now is my covenant with you: you shall become the father of a multitude of nations. You shall no longer be called Abram; your name shall be Abraham, for I make you father of a multitude of nations. I will make you most fruitful. I will make you into nations, and your issue shall be kings. I will establish my Covenant between myself and you, and your descendants after you, generation after generation, a Covenant in perpetuity, to be your God and the God of your descendants after you. I will give to you and to your descendants after you the land you are living in, the whole land of Canaan, to own in perpetuity, and I will be your God.’


________

Responsorial Psalm
Psalm 104(105):4-9

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

Consider the Lord and his strength;
    constantly seek his face.
Remember the wonders he has done,
    his miracles, the judgements he spoke.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

O children of Abraham, his servant,
    O sons of the Jacob he chose.
He, the Lord, is our God:
    his judgements prevail in all the earth.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.

He remembers his covenant for ever,
    his promise for a thousand generations,
the covenant he made with Abraham,
    the oath he swore to Isaac.

The Lord remembers his covenant for ever.


________

Gospel Acclamation
cf.Jn6:63,68

Glory and praise to you, O Christ!
Your words are spirit, Lord, and they are life;
you have the message of eternal life.
Glory and praise to you, O Christ!


Or
Ps94:8

Glory and praise to you, O Christ!
Harden not your hearts today,
but listen to the voice of the Lord.
Glory and praise to you, O Christ!


________

Gospel
John 8:51-59

Jesus said to the Jews:

‘I tell you most solemnly,
whoever keeps my word
will never see death.’

The Jews said, ‘Now we know for certain that you are possessed. Abraham is dead, and the prophets are dead, and yet you say, “Whoever keeps my word will never know the taste of death.” Are you greater than our father Abraham, who is dead? The prophets are dead too. Who are you claiming to be?’ Jesus answered:

‘If I were to seek my own glory
that would be no glory at all;
my glory is conferred by the Father,
by the one of whom you say, “He is our God”
although you do not know him.
But I know him,
and if I were to say: I do not know him,
I should be a liar, as you are liars yourselves.
But I do know him, and I faithfully keep his word.
Your father Abraham rejoiced
to think that he would see my Day;
he saw it and was glad.’

The Jews then said, ‘You are not fifty yet, and you have seen Abraham!’ Jesus replied:

‘I tell you most solemnly,
before Abraham ever was,
I Am.’

At this they picked up stones to throw at him; but Jesus hid himself and left the Temple.


________

Prayer over the Offerings

Look with favour, Lord, we pray,
on these sacrificial offerings,
that they may profit our conversion
and the salvation of all the world.
Through Christ our Lord.


________

Communion Antiphon
Rm 8: 32

God did not spare his own Son, but handed him over for us all;
with him, he has given us all things.


________

Prayer after Communion

Nourished by your saving gifts,
we beseech your mercy, Lord,
that by this same Sacrament,
with which you feed us in the present age,
you may make us partakers of life eternal.
Through Christ our Lord.


________

Prayer over the People

Be gracious to your people, Lord, we pray,
that, as from day to day they reject what does not please you,
they may be filled instead with delight at your commands.
Through Christ our Lord.

Amen.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHIOMACHIMA2017 (BIG BRO'S TRADITIONAL)

INSTRUMENTS OF GOD

THIS PICTURES I BET YOU HAVE NOT SEEN