DAILY STRENGTH DEVOTIONAL - 9/6/2016

 

PLEASING THE LORD 1

Scripture Reading:  1 Thessalonians 4:1
In John 8:29, Jesus said, “And he who sent me is with me; he has not let me alone, because I always do what pleases him.”  What a great example for us to follow?  What then does it mean to please the Lord?  Pleasing the Lord involves discovering and doing what pleases the Lord through living in the light of the Word of God.  Our reference for today says, “Finally our brothers, you learnt from us how you should live in order to please God. This is, of course, how you have been living. And now we beg and urge you in the name of the Lord Jesus to do even more” Beloved in Christ, the Christian life is a process of continual spiritual growth (2 Peter 3:18).  One should continue to grow in his work for the Lord because of his continued spiritual growth within.  Hear St. Paul writing to the Corinthians, “So then my dear brothers, stand firm and steady.  Keep busy always in your work for the Lord, since you know that nothing you do in the Lord’s service is ever useless.” (1 Corinthians 15:58).     St. Paul also said to the Romans, “. . . . Offer yourselves as a living sacrifice to God, dedicated to his service and pleasing to him.”(Romans 12:1).
Pleasing the Lord also means doing His will; and it starts with the heart or the inner person.  St. Paul says, “. . . . We always speak as God wants us to (according to his will), because he has judged us worthy to be entrusted with the Good News.  We do not try to please men, but to please God who tests our motives.” (1 Thess. 2:4).  No wonder St. Paul says that it was never his intention to win men’s approval, but God’s (Gal. 1:10).  St. Thomas Aquinas says, “A man’s heart is light when he wills what God wills.”  St. Francis de Sales agrees with St. Thomas when he said, “Blessed are they who do not do their own will on earth, for God will do it in heaven above.”  Dear friend, pleasing God is more than what we do outwardly, because it begins with a right heart and attitude towards God and His Word.  Hence St. Paul writing to the Colossians advised them saying, “And whatsoever ye do, do it heartily, as to the Lord, and not unto men.” (Col. 3:23).
Today, the Holy Spirit calls us to show behaviours that manifest the Christian walk of life.  Like St. Paul says, “. . . . Your ways of life should be as the gospel of Christ requires so that, whether or not I am able to go and see you, I will hear that you are standing firm with one common purpose and that only one desire you are fighting together for the faith of the gospel.” (Phil 1:28).  You are called today to live a life after the principles of God’s will so that we can be pleasing to God and grow spiritually.  Continue tomorrow!
Prayer Points:
  1. Take a worship song as you are led.
  2. Lord, God of mercy and compassion, I have been a man working only to satisfy self. Holy God give me the needed graces today, to seek above all to please You, in Jesus Christ name.
  3. Like St. Francis de Sales says, “Self-love is cunning, it pushes and insinuates itself into everything, while making me feel that it is not there at all.” Lord, I now know that this is the trick of Satan to deny me of your love.  Forgive me Lord and help me to live for you in Jesus name.
  4. Father, give me the grace to understand who I am (Take this prayer seriously).
  5. Father, today, I know that my life is without foundation, if in any matter I choose to do my will. Father, grant me the grace to seek your will not mine in Jesus name
  6. Take seriously and meditatively the prayer of St. Pio of Pietrelcina (2 times) today.
  7. Take seriously and meditatively the Prayer of St. Ignatius de Loyola (2 times) today
Exercise:  Share this reflection with at least one person today.
Memory Verse:  1 Thessalonians 2:4

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

CHIOMACHIMA2017 (BIG BRO'S TRADITIONAL)

INSTRUMENTS OF GOD

THIS PICTURES I BET YOU HAVE NOT SEEN